Jezik / Language:
3 February 2016

Former Bosanska Krupa Police Inspector Says He Interviewed Injured Party After His Arrest

Albina Sorguč BIRN BiH Sarajevo

A state prosecution witness testifying at the trial of three defendants charged with crimes in Bosanska Krupa said he interviewed an injured party in the case after he was apprehended and sent to the Bosanska Krupa public safety station. The injured party was killed later on.

Defendants Jadranko Saran, Samir Sabic and Zijad Kadic have been charged with committing crimes in Bosanska Krupa. They have been charged with the detention and inhumane treatment of the Serb and Croat population, as well as a murder.

Among other charges, the indictment alleges that Saran, the former chief of the public safety station in Bosanska Krupa, issued an order to arrest a civilian named Marko Gakovic, who managed to run away. After Sabic issued a patrol warrant against Gakovic and sent policemen to find him, Gakovic went missing without trace. Gakovic’s body was exhumed later on.

Elvir Terzic, an inspector with the crime service of the public safety station in Bosanska Krupa, testified at today’s hearing. He said after having been informed that a Serb had been arrested, he spoke to Gakovic about where he was and what he was doing during the war.

“I recorded the interview. It was my obligation to do so as the duty inspector,” Terzic said. He said a police patrol had brought Gakovic to the station and that following the interview, he was most probably taken to a house in Jasenica.

According to Terzic, “house” in this case was jargon for a concentration camp in Jasenica.

Terzic said he heard rumours that Gakovic was killed and that Samir Sabic was associated with his death. He said he heard the rumour during a conversation between his brother and friend, who said they had heard the story from other men.

“I couldn’t believe Samir had done it. I don’t believe it now either,” Terzic said. He said he was convinced Saran wasn’t involved in the murder because of his professionalism.

Terzic said Gakovic was an elderly man, approximately 70 years old, who used to live at the locality of Suvajcine. He said Gakovic told him during the interview at the public safety station that he didn’t know that the Bosnian Army had taken over Bosanska Krupa.

Terzic said Serbs were brought to Jasenica in order to be protected, and not to be killed.

“There were many Bosniaks who lost everything. Nothing was sacred to them,” Terzic said. He said his house was set on fire, just like Jadranko Saran’s house.

Terzic said Saran issued an order prohibiting all types of mistreatment of the civilian population following the liberation of Bosanska Krupa on September 17, 1995.

The trial will continue on February 17.

comments powered by Disqus