Jezik / Language:
 
Share:
brestovac-testifies-in-own-defense-didn-t-participate-in-doboj-murders
19 November 2015
News

Brestovac Testifies In Own Defense, Didn’t Participate in Doboj Murders

Arnes Grbesic BIRN BiH Doboj

Testifying in his own defense before the district court of Doboj, Vojislav Brestovac denied participating in the murder of civilians in Miljkovac, Doboj.

Brestovac, a former member of the public safety station in Doboj, has been charged with participating in the murder of civilians Muharem, Muhamed and Ismeta Aldobasic in June 1992. He was allegedly accompanied by Cvjetko Sarcevic, who has since deceased.

Addressing the trial chamber, Brestovac said he didn’t know Sarcevic, who is described as a co-perpetrator in the indictment.

Brestovac said he worked as a construction worker in Slovenia and Croatia until 1991, and was mobilized by police in Doboj at the beginning of May 1992.

He said he was ordered to man a police checkpoint in Miljkovac for five days. He said the checkpoint was located in the vicinity of Muharem Aldobasic’s house, where he lived with his wife, Petra.

“I didn’t work night shifts in Miljkovac. Since I didn’t work night shifts, I wasn’t in Miljkovac on the night of June 20. I was at the checkpoint on the following morning. When I came, I heard that a murder had taken place. Somebody at the checkpoint told me they had been killed. When I found out about the murder, I saw where the house was. A policeman came. I found out later on it was Marko Zecevic,” Brestovac said.

District prosecutor Snjezana Petrovic asked the defendant if he and Zecevic had gone to Muharem Aldobasic’s house on that day and saw his wife Petra in front of the house. Brestovac answered affirmatively.

Brestovac denied having carried a sniper rifle during the war.

“I had a semi-automatic and automatic rifle. I did not shoot from weapons,” Brestovac said.

The trial will continue on November 23.
Share:
comments powered by Disqus

In this article

Cities