Jezik / Language:
29 December 2014

Sexual Abuse of Men

Amer Jahic BIRN BiH Sarajevo

Testifying at the trial for crimes in Kotor-Varos, a State Prosecution witness says that men were beaten up and sexually abused at the Police Station in the summer of 1992.

The witness, who testified under the pseudonym KV-7, said that, following his arrest on June 11, 1992, he was taken to the Police Station in Kotor-Varos and put into a room with other detainees.

"The door suddenly opens. They barged into the room and beat us with rifles and their legs... I sat near the door anyway. Nobody was spared," he said.  

The witness said that the detainees were forced to put each others' penises into their mouth, but he did not know who ordered that.

"You cannot look them in the face. I cannot see anybody," the witness explained, adding that he was transferred to another room in the Police Station a few days later.

The witness said that the detainees were once taken out in order to eat, but they were beaten up on that occasion as well.

"I knelt down. They sat on me and made me carry them while kneeling," he said.

KV-7 testified at the trial of Savo Tepic, Dragoslav Bojic, Dusko Vujicic, Dusko Maksimovic, Radojko Keverovic and Ilija Kurusic, who are charged with having participated in the detention, torture and other inhumane treatment of Bosniaks and Croats in Kotor-Varos.

According to the charges, Tepic was Chief of the Public Safety Station, Bojic was Commander of the Police Station in Kotor-Varos, Vujicic was an active policeman, Maksimovic and Keverovic were reserve policemen, while Kurusic was a member of the Republika Srpska Army, VRS.

Witness KV-7 was transferred, along with a group of other detainees, from the Police Station to the warehouse of the Territorial Defence, TO, where, as he said, they were guarded by policemen. He said that Dule Vujicic hit him after they had been called out for an examination at the Police Station.

According to the witness' testimony, indictee Dule Maksimovic came one evening and beat the detainees up.

"He took us into the corridor and beat us," said KV-7, who was released from detention in November 1992.

Testifying at this hearing, protected witness KV-1 said that he was hit after having been brought to the Police Station in Kotor-Varos in the summer of 1992. As he said, passers-by hit him while he was standing against the wall in the corridor, as per an order.

He said that he was transferred from the Police Station to the school building in Kotor-Varos, where they were guarded by policemen.

The witness said that the detainees were beaten up by persons who used to enter the school building from outside, on a daily basis. According to his testimony, the guards excused themselves to the detainees by saying that they could not prevent them from coming in.

The trial is due to continue on January 12.
comments powered by Disqus