Jezik / Language:
14 June 2013

Improper Behaviour in Former Sarajevo Barracks

Selma Ucanbarlic BIRN BiH Sarajevo
At the trial for crimes committed in the Viktor Bubanj army barracks in Sarajevo, a witness for the prosecution said that defendant Vintila was among a group of people in which one of them treated prisoners roughly.
Malisa Bogdanovic said that he was brought to Viktor Bubanj in 1992. During his imprisonment he heard about Vintila, who “behaved improperly” towards prisoners.

Asked to describe this behaviour, the witness said that Vintila was among a group of people in which one person beat up prisoners.

“While I sought medical assistance, there was three of them around us, and one of them was hitting us, said Bogdanovic.

He said Vintila’s name was “Abdulah” and that he was blonde, to which Vlado Adamovic, Vintila’s defence lawyer, objected saying this was not true. Asked by Adamovic whether it was possible he had mistaken Vintila for somebody else, the witness said “everything is possible”.

Charged with crimes committed in former barracks Viktor Bubanj are Ramiz Avdovic and Iulian-Nicolaeu Vintila – specifically that they, as members of the joint criminal enterprise, participated in the establishment and maintenance of a system of abuse of Serb civilians between June and late November 1992.

According to the indictment, Avdovic was a commander of the guards at the fifth floor of the District Prison in Sarajevo and Viktor Bubanj, while Vintila was a cook and former guard in the former barracks.

Witness Bogdanovic said that he learnt from others that Avdovic was commander of the guards in Viktor Bubanj, but that he did not have any contacts with him. The witness said he was interrogated in the facility by people he thought were judges, and that he was sentenced for the illegal carrying of weapons. In late 1992, he was moved to the Central Prison.

The second witness at this hearing, Simo Tambur, said he was taken to Viktor Bubanj in August 1992.

“They led us inside and put us against the wall. Then Fahrudin Alic also known as the Colonel started hitting us. When he kicked me in the spine, I fell. He then kicked me with his other foot. These were very strong blows,” he said.

The witness said he was put in a cell where he met more Serb prisoners.

“When we lay down at night, a group with lanterns came. They took someone out, pushed someone else in. You were afraid you will be the next taken. We heard a gun shot below...,” said Tambur.

The witness was released after he spent 11 days in this facility.

The trial will resume on July 8.
comments powered by Disqus