Jezik / Language:
 
Share:
court-refuses-new-evidence-in-sarajevo-prisoner-camp-trial
17 March 2015
News

Court Refuses New Evidence in Sarajevo Prisoner Camp Trial

Selma Ucanbarlic BIRN BiH Sarajevo
The Bosnian state court chamber has rejected a proposal by the defense of Iulian Nicolae Vintila to call on new witnesses.
Presiding judge Zeljka Marenic said the chamber reviewed the defense’s request carefully, but decided against calling the proposed witnesses.
 
“Considering the evidence already introduced, the indictment, and the charges, we believe that calling these witnesses would not provide additional insight,” said judge Marenic.
 
She said the proposed witnesses would force the trial chamber to discuss the alleged guilt of persons who are not on trial in the case.
 
“The chamber will not expand the indictment and determine the guilt of persons who are not listed in the indictment, that’s something for the prosecution to do,” judge Marenic said.
 
Vintila’s defense began presenting evidence on August 26, 2014. They have called on two witnesses and one expert since then, and have introduced material evidence. They requested the addition of several other witnesses last month.

Vintila and Ramiz Avdovic have been charged with committing crimes against Serb civilians detained in the Viktor Bubanj barracks and the district prison in Sarajevo.
 
The state prosecution believes civilians were subjected to abuse and were ordered to perform forced labor.
 
According to the charges, Avdovic was commander of the guards on the district prison’s fifth floor and in the barracks, while Vintila was a cook and guard in the barracks.
 
The trial will continue on March 31, when Vintila will testify on his own behalf.
Share:
comments powered by Disqus